28 Feb Beet Chocolate Cake
1 lb 4 oz granulated sugar
4 oz unsweetened cocoa powder
8 oz bread flour
8 oz cake flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups sour cream
12 oz melted unsalted butter
8 oz finely grated raw purple beets
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover the bottom of 2 10-inch cake pans with rounds of baking paper. Reserve.
2. Sift together the granulated sugar, cocoa powder, bread flour, cake flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Beat the eggs for 1 minute. Stir in the buttermilk and the sour cream. Add the reserved dry ingredients, mixing until well combined and smooth. Mix in the melted butter and the grated beets.
4. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Smooth the top of the cakes to make them level.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes or until the cakes spring back when pressed lightly in the center. Allow the cakes to cool completely before unmolding.