06 Mar Roasted Beets and Sautéed Beet Greens
1 bunch beets with greens
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp chopped onion
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (optional)
Feta or crumbled blue cheese to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash the beets thoroughly, leaving the skins on, and remove the greens. Rinse greens, removing any large stems, and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish or roasting pan, and toss with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. If you wish to peel the beets, it is easier to do so once they have been roasted.
3. Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes or until a knife can slide easily through the largest beet.
4. When the roasted beets are almost done, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over med-low heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for a minute. Tear the beet greens into 2 -3 inch pieces and add them to the skillet. Cook and stir until greens are wilted and tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the greens as is, and the roasted beets sliced with either red-wine vinegar or butter and salt and pepper.
5. Garnish with cheese if desired.