14 Feb Arugula Pesto
2 cups of packed arugula leaves, stems removed
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3-4 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Brown garlic cloves with their peels on in a skillet over medium high heat until the garlic is lightly browned in places, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove the garlic from the pan, cool, and remove the skins.
3. Toast the nuts in a pan over medium heat until lightly brown, or heat in a microwave on high heat for minute or two until you get that roasted flavor. In our microwave it takes 2 minutes.
Food processor method (the fast way):
- Combine the arugula, salt, walnuts, roasted garlic into a food processor.
- Pulse while drizzling the olive oil into the processor.
- Remove the mixture from the processor and put into a bowl.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Because the pesto is so dependent on the individual ingredients, and the strength of the ingredients depends on the season or variety, test it and add more of the ingredients to taste.